FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The NEW LVMS Forum...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 9:00pm
Hey guys, we all love to do our "bellyachin". It's amazing what we learn from it. If only the women knew! 
What about your driver's ? Who's your favorites?
My girls are turning and going to the young guns. They got a pic and auto with Carl Edwards at PIR and they're in love. Girls.
Rooster, can I "pm" you in this forum? Sort of new here but I might be able to help you on the computer thing.
If anyone has some wristbands to sell, I might be able to help there, too.

Rooster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 9:12am
Budman, We've got quite a few drivers.  My wifes a Martin fan, Daughter goes with Stewart, son-in-law is Mayfield, Rooster(grandson, hence my handle) is a junior fan, Goose(youngest grandson) goes for Newman, and of course I'm a DALE JARRETT fan.  Met him in Daytona at the Pepsi 400 race in 99'(which he won), another Dale and Dale show.  He was driving his son around the go-cart tracks across from the speedway.  Of course I was a fan before we met so you can imagine what it was like when another fan pointed to my shirt and told me "that guys at the go cart track outside the door".  Didn't say much because he was entertaining his son, just shook his hand and wished him luck.  I tried to get into the "PM" with no luck.  I'll try again later.  Appreciate your response on the computer thing.  I'll have 1 free wristband and my neighbors may have 3 available.  We may have already given two out but too early to tell.  Quite a snow storm last night.  I got about 10 inches at the house this morning, we're only 2500 feet elevation.  Wouldn't have been too bad, except I had to unlock at work this morning at 4:30 A.M. and the snowplows hadn't gone through yet.  Thanks for 4 wheel drive.
rooster
Rooster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 5:35pm
Steady Eddie should have left Oregon this morning.  I hope the storm that blew through yesterday didn't effect him.  I imagine he has a WIFI setup in his rig so maybe he'll keep us posted on his progress.
rooster
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 5:48pm
My daughter just called from Vegas, It's snowing!
Steady Eddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steady Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 12:38am
rooster and everyone--

We thought we'd stay home one more day and head out
first thing in the morning..smart, I think...it was above
freezing on the Pass in southern Oregon today (at about
2 PM, or so)..I would have spent two days and 3 tanks of
gas if we were to follow thru with our plan to head out to
101..in the morning we should be able to shoot right over
the Pass, because when we get there, it'll be warm....

Wish us luck, and I'm shocked to hear of Vegas snow, and
Wi-Fi it is....
Steady Eddie
Rooster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 10:04am
Probably good Steady Eddie waited another day for the snow to clear.  Just be careful, black ice is everywhere this morning.  Snow! Yeah the same thing happened last year in Vegas except it was a week later.  Let's just hope the weather clears up as Accuweather says it will.  Everyone here's charged up with the thoughts of 78 degree temps during race week.  Shorts and tank tops are now being added to the trailer packing list.  Better bring the sunscreen for the kids.  Oh, thats right, my dermatologist says that at my age I need to put that stuff on as if it was my shaving lotion.  It's amazing how much skin they can burn off with those Nitrogen bottles.  Look like a Zombie until everything heals.  getting close to departure... My son-in-law count is down to workdays left.  I tend to look my at schedule as how many trips left to stock the trailer.  I think we're ready. 
rooster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steady Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 10:50pm

rooster, budman, and everyone--

Made it to Redding, Ca. , pressing on to somewhere by Bakersfield, Ca.

Coach is a mess, Jeep GCL is so dirty you cannot really tell what
color it is...bummer.

454 Vortec is running great, cool and fast. Got to play with a V10
F**d Coach on the hills...fun...

Edited by Steady Eddie - 01 Mar 2007 at 10:53pm
Steady Eddie
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 3:53am
OK, so I like my Chevy's but the coach is a V-10.
 So who won?
Rooster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 9:50am
So who would have thought that a guy with a handle "Budman" would like Chevy's.  I tend to go with Ford's,  although I guess I have to support Toyota's now .  I know I'm opening up a can of worms ,but, that's what this part of the forums all about, huh guys.  Just be gentle on me.  I support my driver, although I really liked his old Quality Care sponsor.  Oh, those were the heydays.  I guess the only positive thing is I own a Ford Super Duty  and old Toyota PU.  When it snows, I'll take the Toyota and those skinny little tires anytime over anything stock.  Emphasis on stock.  Steady Eddie's out of the woods.  Not much scenery from Redding to Vegas, but who cares.  The end point is the answer.  I would expect you'd be covered in road trash after the trip through Oregon.  At least we'll recognize you when we pull in.  I went out an purchased one of those tuning chips for the Diesel to see if the trip over the Tehachapi's could be quicker.  It's amazing how much more torque this thing produces.  I'm curious about any increase in fuel mileage.  I don't need but the lightest touch on the accelerator now to get going.  I didn't get the exhaust pyrometers so I'll still take it easy.  anyway, wash and wax this weekend and head out Tuesday morning.  Appropriately, this morning's Tailgate safety meeting was about hazards of exhaust fumes and use of sunscreen.  Clearly exhaust fumes could contribute to giddiness and a feeling of euphoria.
rooster
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 10:23am
I like Chevy's, especially the oldies. I have a '76 corvette which I can actually use year round now that we moved from Chicago. My truck is also a Chevy. I have to say that it's had it's share of pit stops to the dealer. It also has the 8.1 and sucks more gas than a race car on sunday. The oversize tires and 6" lift doesn't help. I put the hypertech program in it and it really woke it up and gets better mileage but I have to burn premium.
When we bought our Winnebago in '98, Chevy and Ford were really starting to duke it out with their chassis. The Workhorse wasn't available, yet and I wanted the largest chassis possible and Ford had a 25000# with the V10. We actually ended up with a '99 chassis in a '98 RV. The only problem I've had in 23,000 miles is one bad shock.
Rooster, here's a can of worms for you, one daughter ended up with the Mustang. Since then, we purchased a Honda and Suzuki. I don't want to sound unpatriotic, but look at where the Big 3 are headed.
OK, now it's my turn, be gentle.    
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2007 at 9:24am
I'm in Vegas and just watched the extended forecast up to next saturday, 75* and sunny, low of 53*.
Woohoo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steady Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2007 at 9:25pm
Hi guys---

Guess what? We are in Vegas, too!!!  Made it in three days from
The Great Pacific Northwet. Today's leg was from Lost Hills, Ca.
The wind gusts were terrible, slowed to 45-50 mph. The winds
were in "streaks"--you could go along just fine, and then, wham!
There were 18-wheelers just parked beside the road (58 out of
Bakersfield) but we slowed back and made it OK. As was already
said, the weather here in Vegas is swell--cool, but no rain in sight.
This evening, old Mr. Moon came up full, real nice.

About the Toyota's---the HOT topic--still, is Mikie's Team and what
was placed in his fuel..we listened to the fall-out on Sirius Radio.
The "stuff" fouled the inside of TWO different intake manifolds, which
points directly to doctored fuel. The longer that NASCAR keeps the
lid on, the worse it gets. *Somebody* knows something, but they
ain't saying....I can hear Smokey Yunick chuckling from his "Best
Damn Garage" in Heaven....  
Steady Eddie
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2007 at 9:37pm
Glad you made it, Steady Eddie. We'll be at the Village Pub off Regatta tonight if you would like to join us. We're in Summerlin/Desert Shores.
They keep bumping up the temps for race weekend. Should be fun.
Someone please save me. We're off to Jared's. My wife wants to look at something for our 25th. I guess the atv wasn't shiny enough.  
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 7:46pm
Rooster, do you have access to maybe 3 wristbands? I might be OK, but I may need a back up plan. My girls invited some friends on sunday.
Let me know if you do and how much. Thanks, Budman 
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 8:07am
Steady Eddie, why does only the Busch series race in Mexico and why there?
Coming back from Vegas, we saw #20 and #24 car haulers heading to the track. The #20 was a few 18 wheeler lengths ahead of the #24 and pulling away.
Rooster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 11:45am
Budman, I will probably have one wristband, for sure, unless they require my 1 year old grandson to wear it.  And I doubt that.  My friends right now have 3 bands  and it looks like they will probably have them on Thursday when they arrive.  I'll check with them and let them know you may be interested as a fallback.  I'll let you know for sure what we have when I get there Wednesday if it's not too late.  If mine is still available you can have it at no charge.  Theirs will be a different story I'm sure.  They have been trying to get $100 a piece but I'm sure they will go down.  We're leaving tomorrow at noon and expect to stay at Whiskey Petes tomorrow night then get in line at the track sometime around 10:00 A.M.  I'll be in a 33 foot trailer with big eagle decals on the sides driven by a white ford super duty crew cab.  We'll look like the beverly hillbillies with all six of us stuffed in..  Anyway if we don't find each other in line I'll search you out in the infield.  I've got a good idea where you stay.
rooster
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 1:29pm
Thanks Rooster. I only need them for sunday. We don't leave the infield on sunday(too cheap to buy seats) so sometimes we just slip one off and do a trade. I can't get in touch with my neighbor and he should have some extras but I'm not positive.
If the red Racing Electronics is in the same spot, we're just 2 spots down on the end. That reminds me, I'll have to get the new program for our scanners.
I should be there about noon on thursday. The family can't there until friday, so it's just me and Bud. He gets so excited, he needs an extra day to calm down.    
Rooster View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 4:47pm
I'm not too cheap for the stands, just don't like the horrible crowding.  Besides I can run to the tv to watch the replays and get a little commentary and update on the race.  It's alot easier on the grandchildren also.  I'll be over on turns 3&4 second row on the end by cherokee lane.  I think that's the new name they've given the road.  There appears to be a little utility house right next to my spot.  See ya at the races.  30 minutes more of work then go home to finish the loadout.
rooster
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2007 at 6:11pm
I'll check my e-mails. If you need anything, just ask. My daughter will be driving back and forth to the track. She brings us ice and stuff that miss, like ice cream or more beer.
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 8:38pm
Where's Steady Eddie? How was your weekend?

We're going to PIR in a couple weeks. It was hot last year. Fortunately it's a night race.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steady Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 12:36am
Good evening Everyone---

I have not posted lately because I did not want to
rain on anybody's parade. Over in the Hollywood RV
Campground we sort of got lucky. Our next door
folks were Mormans from Idaho--no drinking,
no booze, no loud use of the "F" word..good folk. However,
the guy next to us (in a big toy-box fiver) started up his
"24-7" generator and it ran all night, or rather, it ran until
our carbon monoxide alarm started screaming at 4:30 am.
I was just getting my shoes on to tell him to shut it off, when
he did shut it down. Thank goodness for an operating CO alarm.

We were told by the LDS folks, that they were told (by LVMS ticket
sales people) that they had to buy a (grampa said) ticket for their
newborn grandson, to the tune of $118....I kinda wondered why
a newborn was even AT a NASCAR event, it being so loud and
baking (this year) in the sun...and knowing of our ticket rates,
I wondered who pocketed the money (?)....

We got to sit directly across from the new Media Center and found
that we could not see around it. I believe that was during the pole event. Our Race Seat Tickets put us in 4W about row 28 and for
the length of an entire city block, we could not see the track in
front of us. (Because of the new banking) And sure enough, during
the race on Saturday, a car crashed right in front and we heard it
and saw the tire smoke, but we had to wait to see who it was, when he spit out the other side of our blind spot...

The Big Screen TVs: Sitting between Turn 3 and Turn 4, on our end of
the track, there were two big screen TV Replay screens. We could not
see either one. The one to our left was aimed right at the "Red Bull"
Grandstand, couldn't see the one to our right, because it was aimed
the other way.

The tower was un-readable from our seats, it should turn on its'
pedestal, then you could at least get an idea of where your driver
was at in the field. Or maybe have TWO towers. One at each end of the track.

Some things that no one told us ahead of time: The *shuttles* don't
begin to run until 1 hour after the Race. That means that after walking
500-miles on Race Day, you get to stand for an extra hour. I could write
a whole book about the LVMS Shuttle Service. Or lack thereof. We kept
asking at the Hollywood Gate 1 entrance about the shuttles, and
nobody working the Gate knew anything. Not from Wednesday onward.
Finally, we saw an old beat-up school bus cruising thru and figured
it WAS the Shuttle...we made a point of asking our Shuttle Driver
*where* he'd be picking us up, he said right here where I let you off,
he WAS NOT there after the Race on Saturday. Really, looking around,
the LVMS Management provides no seating, for anyone, outside of
the Track. SRO. So, after Sunday's Cup Race we walked back to
Hollywood and still got there 15-minutes BEFORE the first shuttles
began running. But it was a hike. There was an on-site "Shuttle
Graveyard" where dead Shuttles were parked with their hoods up.

No one told us that there were VERY few Sani-cans--at PIR there are
dozens--one wonders if there isn't some "deal" going on to benefit
the Black Tank Pump-out Guys...who were doing a great business.

About half-way down Hollywood Blvd., there is an open lot containing
a couple hundred (at least) new, purple Sani-cans, ready to go. It is not
like there was a shortage of them.

Also, how do you control alcohol abuse at the Cup Race? Well, at
LVMS they simply do not have any Mr. Beermen working the stands.
That's right, if you'd like high-priced beer, ya gotta hike for it. And
then, once you get there, you are only allowed to buy two. Sunday,
during the Cup Race, at our end of the Track, the vendors there
began running out of stuff, by mid-race they were out of Coors
Light, and even running low on water.

We began calling the Management Guys the "Radio Guys" because it appeared that
anyone in a position of some responsiblity HAD a radio. We blew
off speaking to anyone with-out a radio, because we soon found
out that the non-radio-controlled workers knew nothing...they all
claimed they were told nothing--just do it..

And so it went, we will NOT be back..we had budgeted $5K for
our trip to LVMS. perhaps they won't miss us.

Steady Eddie
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 10:11am
Wow, sorry to hear all that S.E.
I'm probably repeating myself from the other thread that Rooster started.
I agree with you on the sani pots. We didn't have ANY until friday? No garbage cans either, although trash pickup was pretty good throughout the weekend.
We also walked back on saturday and beat the shuttle back. The pedestrian tunnel should have never closed to the infield. We would have a time just to walk to vendor row and shop but we didn't spend any money this year. We even tried to take the shuttle early on saturday, but the shuttles weren't there. Almost missed the start of the race. There must have been a few hundred people waiting. Then the shuttles ALL came at once.
Our sitting areas and grass is all gone. We couldn't walk to the various parts of the track from the infield.
There are 2 towers, one at turn 4 and one at turn 1. We actually had great seats on saturday by the entrance to pit road. We could also see the big screen tv for replays.
You must have had a sad look on your face and "Mr. Beemen" were avoiding you.
I realize that a race track isn't the place to get any rest but the "quiet time strictly enforced"? Security? NOT!
Even the Neon garage tested their speakers at 4:30am on sunday.
We do our fair share of drinking but we sit around the campfire with our neighbors and talk. Both nights we had the town drunks running around the infield woohooing. Security? NOT!
Golf carts were everywhere kicking up dust. They finally sprayed (who knows what? ) on the gravel to keep the dust down. Golf carts confiscated? Security? NOT! 
My bad. Security was there during the DAY. We were told Bud had too long of a leash.
Those are my complaints but for the most part, we had a great time. Once again the jets flying over are fun to watch and the opening flyover on sunday still gets a smile from us.
We're looking forward to PIR. It not only is a fraction of the cost of LVMS but much more fan friendly.  
Now we wait and see how much the prices go up for next year. That will be the deciding factor for us.

jmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 10:56am
Hey there,

I have been reading the posts from the past couple of days and I have a question about PIR.

How much does it cost to camp at the track?  I went on their website and couldn't find out anywhere.  They mention the RV parking etc. but there are no prices.  My husband and I may go to the fall race and would take our travel trailer if the cost wasn't to great.  Any info anyone could provide would be great.

We were in Vegas and had a great time.  We weren't staying at the track, we had a hotel and we also had a rental car and reserved parking pass so it wasn't that bad at all.

I was surprised that there weren't beer vendors in the stands, there were the year before.  I don't drink, but the other people we were sitting with were and they didn't like having to get up and go into a long line to get a beer.

The crowds this year were huge on all 3 days, the weather sure played it's part with that.  Last year the first 2 days were pretty quiet in comparison to this year.  It was awesome weather for sure.

We will be going back next year and may adjust our plans slightly.  We will still hotel it and get the parking pass.  Our seats were awesome too.  We were right at the exit of pit road and had a great view of the jumbo tron and the scoring tower.  We could see about the first 6-8 pit stalls perfectly.  Our only obstructed view was of turn 3 because the new media center was in our way.  They should have built it a little lower maybe.  Other than that it was very good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steady Eddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 1:18pm
Budman--

You are correct about the lighted scoring towers. There
ARE two of them. I went out to the Media Images posted
on the LVMS Web-site and took a look at the one called:
LVMSaerial41.jpg----and it shows the one at "our" end of
the Track. The one in the middle of Turn One was too far
away, and the one tower pictured had extreme glare on
the lit-up numbers. Such is the price we pay for a beautiful
day..but..if they turned..

We talked to a Radio-Guy, and voiced some concerns, he
said that the Cup Race was a sellout and that he knew
they were spread thin..the sheer number of people was
(to them) staggering.  But they all, from top-to-bottom,
were not ready for the crowd.

And, what was the deal with holding us all hostage outside
the Gate 1 entrance? I could not see anything wrong with
letting us all into the RV Campground at, say, 8 AM. Why
wait until there are hundreds of rigs waiting to get in? 
Another "no-one-told-us" deal was that LVMS expects your
RV and Towed Car parking permits to be stuck onto the
inside of the windshields, WHEN you get up to the gate,
or else they are NOT letting you in. At PIR, merely showing
Passes through the side window of the Coach is good
enough proof to the Gatepersons and they wave you on in.
Oh no, not at LVMS, we get to hold up the line whilst I peel-
and-stick our RV Pass and DW hustles outside to put the one
in our Jeep.  Sheesh!

We did speak to a Radio-Guy about the extreme lack of any
form of Security, and his answer was that there had not not
been any complaints....HUH?..we did not see anyone to
complain TO!! The Security People were just not there.

If you were there, and did not notice this stuff, were you
blinded by the "Nascar Experience"?????
Steady Eddie
Budman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 4:27pm
jmac, glad you could join us.
We didn't sit in the grandstands on sunday, but saturday, we were able to get beer and water rather quickly. They sure could have used some extra people, though.

I do have to say that we all enjoyed the smoke free environment. Nothing worse than sitting in the wrong spot when someone lights up a stogie.

I also had to wait in the staging area for the bomb sniffing dog to arrive on thursday. It took almost an hour and they only let a few  RVs into the infield at a time. I was ready this year and had everything stuck in place and wristband securely tightened. I also learned the hard way the year before. I'll bet there were 50 RVs waiting.

PIR. Outside the infield reserved spots sold out both races. It cost $160 reserved and I think it's still $40 in the first come first serve. It's dirt but a tram comes by and takes you close to the track.  
They had VIP RV parking right above turn 4 with full hookups. $3,000. I'm not sure if it's still available, but it's an awesome spot and you wouldn't have to buy seats but I think they also charge per person.
We buy general hillside tickets for $30 per person. Bring blankets, chairs, coolers(no alcohol) they check and will make you drink all your beer on the spot or you donate it to the gate people.
PIR is also nice because Bashas has a full grocery store and the prices aren't increased. I love to cook but they have tri tip, ribs, you name it already cooked. We don't bring half the stuff that we normally do for LVMS.
They also have live entertainment and an outside bar that you don't have to pay extra for. Unlike LVMS' Neon Garage joke. It was funny. Neon garage made a big deal out of the glass windows and looking at the cars, well, all the cars were outside so people were looking over the railing and we could see everything. They'll probably install curtains next year for us non-payers.
Let me know if you need more info on PIR. Budman   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic