FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jan 7th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 1:54am
Other than the one mishap involving a Corvette along with some oil downs, I thought the event ran quite well.
Killer air, early in the day the DA was minus 900 feet according to Kevin McClelland.
Just wish we could package it up and save it for the Fram/Autolite Nationals and just sit back and watch the record books take a hammering. Greg Anderson's Pro Track record set last year at 6.631 would be history as would Chip Ellis and the Pro Stock Motorcycle record at 6.91. Last year, it took better than a 7.09 just to make the PSB cut.
When you consider that we haven't any cars on the track since last November, I would say the track held up just fine and can only imagine with a little more rubber build up and some warmer track temperatures, this place would be RIP City!

And how about that Wednesday night Motorcycle racer Doug Love who felt that he couldn't run with the Big Dogs on the weekend events? Doug proved to himself that he indeed could and this race had to be a big boost to his confidence level. I guess all of the talking to him by Dave Hoover and myself finally paid off. Do you just think that just maybe we have created a monster for the Summit ET Bike racers???? We'll see!!!
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 1:56am
The complete results of Sunday's race will be posted sometime on Monday afternoon on the Infineon web page.
72Qsam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Qsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 12:30am
Congratulations to all; especially to my son and as always a special thanks to the Westerman Racing for sponsoring my two boyz! Sam

In High School, a late decision to borrow a car from friend Barbara Westerman paid off for Petaluma's Kevin Neft as he was able to outlast the field with the Westerman Racing 1973 Ford Maverick. Neft took a win over the 1973 Mustang of Sebastopol's Nick Kelly and then a bye to get him into the semifinals. Caira Jacobs and daughter of Super Gas racer Marty Jacobs racing out of Union City opened up with a single run and then scored a win with her big block 1965 Chevelle over Walnut Creek's Conner McLeod and his classic 1969 Mustang to move into her first ever final. Neft took a huge starting line advantage, .042 to Jacob's .190 and never looked back winning with a 16.49 (16.23) at 82.71 mph. Jacobs fell off the pace slowing to a 13.03 (12.80) at 99.88 mph.

Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 10:52am
was this the white Maverick? Congrats! I saw the car, and had no idea it was part of the Westerman stable. Steve, and the Mrs....very nice move...letting a "shoe" drive one of your cars in competition is an awesome gesture...and it is very satisfying when the "shoe" brings home a win...congrats to you all.

Best local bench racer around.
445hemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 445hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 11:42am
Hi,
 I just wanted to say thank you to all the racers and track officials for allowing us to run a couple of time only runs! We brought our AA/Gas car out to sort out some changes that we recently did and where able to come up with some very helpful data. We where on our way to a 6.95-7.05 pass on our second run had we not shut down at the 800'. Again, thank you and hopefully you will allow us to come have some fun from time to time!
 Dan
Matthews Racing
'55 T-Bird AA/Gas
Dave Hoover View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 2:15pm
From the announcer's booth, anytime Dan, Jim and I love to watch that T-Bird run.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 3:48pm
Dave has it right, love those old cars with the new technology. Sure brings back some great memories when my old friend Wayne Torkelson was living here in Concord and running his car locally.
I can remember when those 55 Birds were new. I worked part time in a Shell gas station in Richmond on a part time basis after my discharge from the US Army which was just a few doors away from Trulson Motors, a local Ford dealership. The salesmen would bring some of them in right after delivery to get washed and detailed and I was able to drive them though on a short distance basis back to the dealership. Must admit, some of those trips were not exactly back directly to the dealership but it sure impressed my girl friend at the time who was in her 1st year of college.
Hope we see more of you Dan, never get tired of those cars.
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 4:43pm
as a racer, and crew member for another racers, I enjoyed watching your crew operate Dan. You folks ran a tight ship, had your act together, and put on a great showing.

On your second pass, I took the liberty of approaching the starting line(since my driver's car was next in line to run) and got to watch you folks up close and personal...watching the whole team run like a machine from staging lanes to finish line ...well done gang.

Edited by Peanut - 09 Jan 2007 at 4:44pm
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 10:53pm
Craig,
Yes, it was Barb's white Maverick.  We bought it to build into a sweet bracket racer, then the GP'r dragster came along and we (I) didn't have time to finish the build up.  It's a cool car, like Melissa's '66 Mustang with more modern upgrades like disc brakes.  Anyway, long sory short, Kevin will take over the Maverick and finish building it (which will be a great learning experience for him).  Spencer who is now in college will hop up his '73 Mustang with a new 351C shortly.  He'll be my "shoe" for the Dart on MLK weekend, then he should have his Mustang ready for the rest of the season.  Afterwards, Barb will be the driver of the de-tuned Dart for the remainder of the season.  When Spencer started driving the Dart last season in HS class we pulled the dominator off and put an old 650 with the secondaries disconnected on it.  It slowed it from high 10's to mid 12's, perfect for HS class.  We'll leave it that way for Barbara to learn also.  It never has a traction problem with this tune and the 500 c.i. wedge should live a long happy life too.  :D
Meanwhile, Melissa got VP Fuels and K&N as new sponsors this year, in addition to Arron Johnson and the Cordisco family.  We'll be running Top Dragster at the divisionals and Korbell's S/E this year.  We've got a lot of safety upgrades to do thanks to the blown alky motor and the new T/D rules.  But, I'm happy to spend $$$ on safety for my daughter.  ;)
Looking forward to seeing everyone at the races!

Steve Westerman

Melissa's website is www.girlpowerracing.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 12:32pm
Steve,
Just checked Melissa's web site and was very impressed with it. I feel that she has a great future in what ever endeavor she pursues and both you and Barbara should be very proud of her.
You have also shown another side of you and that is your willingness to help others such as what you are doing with the Neft boys and allowing them to drive your cars. What great role models that both you and Barbara are and the world could use  so many more like yourselves. You are not only a winner on the track but off as well.
Good luck in the New Year and I will be watching each of you.
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 6:49pm
Thank you Jim, that was nice of you to say.
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 7:04pm
Nicely put, Jim.

Steve...I'd like to see the blown alky dragster some time...I am always trying to learn more about forced induction/alky set ups. I try to gather as much from Bud Rathke and Jimmy Johnson as I can.

I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the alky fuel system with the Hilbron set up we used to run on our Darts, and the Enderle set up we currently run on Tom's big block Chevy. But Blowers add a whole new game to the equation...

Someday I hope to put the Peanut truck on a Hilborn set up...being a SBC power plant, it should be easier to find what we need...but for now, we're just glad to be participating in a competitve ride again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic