FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dave Hoover View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Box
    Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 2:51pm

ALL cars were required to drive straight through the water box for the first time yesterday.  What is your opinion regarding this new procedure?      My opinion:  Cone off the box if your not running slicks.

Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 3:42pm
I see that our sister track at Las Vegas had a post about the Street tired cars dragging water up to the starting line so we aren't the only ones who are dealing with that issue.
As I posted in their forum, there may be 2 different solutions to this common problem.
Don't allow them into the water or cone off some of the starting line and confine them to one area?
I may catch some flack on this from the ones who are using DOT approved  Street legal Drag Radials but something should be done to find a cure for this problem

Edited by Jim McCombe - 08 Jan 2007 at 3:49pm
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
Cleetus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cleetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 4:22pm

Make the street tires go around. Dah!!!!!

Newbomb Turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbomb Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 4:31pm

There is no reason for street cars to be in the water box.  Yesterday water was all over the place.  As for the guy in charge of the hose a little goes a long way dude.  It looked like a lake.

rancheroracer View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 7:03pm

Definitely cone it off for the street classes.  Only slick tires should go through the water box & don't have standing water, damp is plently.  Don't need a pond in there.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 11:59pm
I gotta tell ya, it was a cluster_______ yesterday early on. Many racers knew of the new rule, but the guy who was manning the water box actually told some racers with slicks to drive around the water box, and back in...I saw him tell 3 cars to do this in the left lane during the first time runs...I dont know if that was because there was a family of baby ducks swimming by in the water box, or what....definately had to watch out.

I was making sure Tommy was steering clear of the rivers of water that went from the box to the starting line. At one point, he was almost completely out of the water box's "typical" burn out patch because of the wetness left behind.

I warned him, if he wants to play in trophy, be prepared to drive around the lakes.

The starting line "mop crew" did a great job of keeping exhaust puddles off the racing surface though....it's an odd site to see two guys, each holding a mop behind a car.....and it worked.

But
"Lake Infineon" was at capacity yesterday...I cant knock them though... they're trying to make it right...they kept the box clean of rubber chunks, but there was water from 10 feet behind the box, to about 4 feet beyond it...

But hey...we dealt with it, and we will continue to do. We are lucky there is a real water box at our track...you practically need a 4x4 to get through Sac's water TROUGH.

I would say "use a cone", but some cars in Sportsman" run slicks, and some cars in trophy do to...unless there is someone who can moniter cone removal/placement, it'll be tough.

Best local bench racer around.
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 12:07am

And the reason for not backing in is ?
mhenesian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhenesian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 4:02am
I have to say, the water box was a big problem last Sunday (1/7/07). I was running my 4-spd '69 Roadrunner - currently with street radials - and not only was the track very cold and poorly prepped (IMO), but I couldn't get around the water without picking some up one side or the other. I was forced to do burn-outs and I know that this is a problem for the cars with slicks. The fronts picked up water which I then ran over on the way to the start line. Fine way to test the new Cal Tracs. At least they helped some.

Also, what happened with the Corvette that crashed at the end of the track ! Was it a track related problem or did something break on the car ? I'd like to know,

Thanks,  Mark Henesian
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 10:42am
Doug...I think 2 reasons-safety being the first and foremost reason...the chance of a racer selecting reverse in to the water, and forgetting to shift back in to a forward gear is one. Yes...it happens...more often than you think. This is the same reason why when a car stages at the starting line, and rolls through the beams, the starter will allow them to back up to re-stage as long as the other car isnt staged, but they have to be sure the car that went too far back ALL the way up, past the staging beams, selects a forward gear, and re-stages. I have seen several cars 're-stage' in reverse, and never select a forward gear, and actually launch backwards...a VERY big safety issue.

The other reason might be "time"...some people might take too long to go around, back up, do a burnout, and then stage...although this reason doesnt seem like a valid one because typically the cars are already in the box before the two cars racing have left the line.

Mark...1st off...69 Roadrunner...right on man!

second, I feel ya...one thing to keep in mind is, the track personell are trying to make the conditions perfect for everyone. Too little water, and the slick runners might complain...too much water, or too many street cars going through the water, and it turns in to Lake Infineon...

as for the 'vette at the top end, I dont want to speculate, but from what I heard, he got loose, pedalled it, and got back in it only to lose control again and bite the wall....from what I could tell before and after, it definately was not a track issue...we had absolutely NO complaints about the track, starting line, or anything in our 9 second car...

Mopars can put a ton of torque down. I know...we also have a 69 Roadrunner, and have run several A-Body cars at the track...traction is tough on a small tire car that doesnt have chassis/traction modifications...

its one thing to make the power. its another to get it to hook...finding out how to hook up is key to set up...and getting water on your tires doesnt help ya one bit. I feel for ya...I really do...there have been several occaisions where we struggled for a good launch...but Sunday, we had no problem, even when running in trophy in the 9 second car, right behind street cars....

Edited by Peanut - 09 Jan 2007 at 10:47am
Hagen 79 sst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagen 79 sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 9:10pm
   The water box has always been a problem in cold weather days. Not enough sun or heat in the track to evaporate the excess water. putting less water down wouldnt help alot, but would help a little.
   If they could get some help or a volunteer to run the broom in the water box,that would be the best thing and make the most improvement to the water box.
   Its hard for one guy to sweep, water, and bring the cars in to the water box by his self. I think the water box job is the hardest job out there.
   So next time you walk up to the starting line,,,STOP and THANK him for the job that he is doing...A little kindness will go a long way...
Smokem If Ya Gotem
STK 758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STK 758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 9:55pm
Carl's right! It takes two broom Hilda's to do the boxes!
Newbomb Turk, hold that thought....
No street tires in the water period!! That to me is a no brainer. All the street tired cars I have ever ran spun worse when heated verses just cleaning them off.

Barry
Zzzgott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zzzgott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 10:07pm

I was up at the starting line when the Corvette Crashed and was watching closely as it looked fast and I didn't think that the top end would hold a lot of horsepower. The Corvette launched straight in the right lane but was drifting towards the center from the getgo. He ran straight but just drifted enough  that by the end of the track he was going to knock out the mph cones. He never lifted and when he overcorrected to the right it darted back to the left and hit the guard rail hard. I thought it was over then I heard the motor rev up again and the car took off and hit the right guard rail.

Zzzgott
The regular guy( that got his leg broken in the water box last year)( I forgot his name) normally does a great job but it was so cold in the morning that the water was not evaporating and was getting tracked up to the starting line.
It seems like it is going to make the problem worse if everybody  that wants to do a burn out has to drive through the box.  
mhenesian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhenesian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 10:48pm
Thanks all,

I have to admit that I thought the Corvette broke loose near the top end, hit the right and went hard left into the wall. It looked like a traction problem. Fortunately, whatever the issue (driver error, car, track), he's O.K. but probably shaken up a lot !

As for the water box problem, most street radial cars are in Trophy, and a few in Sportsman. What about reserving the left lane for water and slicks and the right kept dry (or slightly damp) for street tires and DOT drag tires. Previous to the new water box rule, many racers I observed would go around the water and backup into the slightly damp area to start a burnout. In fact I was told by a a few experienced Sportsman racers that this was the correct procedure - now illegal,

Thanks again,

Mark Henesian
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2007 at 11:33pm
correct?..as in "most practical for tire cleaning"? or correct as in "the proper method that the track prefers"?

to be honest, I dont think it is a "time sensitive" issue...most cars are "held in place" by the box man, until the go-ahead is given by the starter for the drivers to commence tire warming/cleaning. The backing up issue is a safety related rule. believe it or not, many people forget to take it out of reverse when they back in to the water, or someone could be walking behind the car.

Of course, for us veterans of "the Point", you used to have no choice BUT to back in to the box...of course, of you left it in reverse, you didnt get far. There was a retaining wall, and a tower behind the boxes.

Edited by Peanut - 13 Jan 2007 at 11:34pm
a1090cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1090cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2007 at 1:42pm

Common Craig,if you can't back a friggin car up and remember to take it out of reverse you need not be drivin.....period! In the 34 years I've been racing i've never seen a car take off in reverse IN THE WATER BOX. I've seen it at the starting line but not the water box.

As for the condition of the water box.....THAT has always been an issue. I've seen the water 10 feet from the starting line, an empty box, a water box from guard rail to guard rail. It is worse on cold days and windy days, but summer doesn't always make it go away. I wish the people that are "trying to make it right" would be a little more informed on water box maintenence and not just given a hose and told to water the garden. FOR SAFETY'S SAKE!
That's why they call it R A C E gas.
STK 758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STK 758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2007 at 10:51pm
   1090... That's funny! Backing up is not an issue.     In my opinion Infineon has one of the longest box to starting lines I have seen. Obviously if a car stays in the trough it will fill the wheel wells and drag water forward. Cars pulling way out of the box could be an issue.   Have the track paint a line 4 - 5 or 6 feet from the box and tell everybody, do your burnouts within the lines please.
Tommorrow ice in the box will be the problem!! LOL!
Newbomb Turk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbomb Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2007 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by rancheroracer rancheroracer wrote:

And the reason for not backing in is ?

"Silence is Golden"....Hmmmm, be a good name for a song
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 12:16am
Originally posted by a1090cuda a1090cuda wrote:

Common Craig,if you can't back a friggin car up and remember to take it out of reverse you need not be drivin.....period! In the 34 years I've been racing i've never seen a car take off in reverse IN THE WATER BOX. I've seen it at the starting line but not the water box.

that's because you've spent the last 34 years in the pits telling jokes! Bad ones too!

seriously...I dont know if it's because we have been blessed with people who pay attention, or what, but I actually have seen it...on video...at MANY events...including the old track(Sears Point)...we had video of a Camaro begin his burbout in reverse....nothing happened, but ya never know.

Can you think of any other reason why they dont want people backing in to the water box?

I do agree Jimmy...anyone who cant remember to take it out of reverse before doing a burnout, shouldnt be racing(or driving)...but there are also people who stage with the rear wheels, ignore the commands of the starting line crew,, and like you said...launch in reverse. If they'll do it at the starting line, why not the burnout box? I mean, we all watch the cars launching...who stares at the guy who starts his burnout in reverse? He might have caught it right away, and corrected himself...who knows?

....if you havent seen it yet, give it another 34 years, I'm sure you will partner.

Have fun doing ice rink burnouts tomorrow guys... be careful...
IRStarter2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRStarter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 12:46am
Back in the old days when the drag tower was behind the bleach boxes, a funny car did a burnout in reverse and climbed up the stairs to the tower. 
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 12:49am
I remember Jim McCombe telling us that...ya hear that Ambro?....I aint nuts!(no pun intended of course)

Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 1:18am
Yes Steve, you are correct and that was Division 6 TAFC driver Steve McGee who was involved in that incident. Actually something broke within the clutch and wouldn't disengauge.  Luckily Steve had the sense to hit the stair railing on the old tower instead of Brad Anderson who was strapped in his car or that could have turned out to be a bigger mess than what it was.
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
a1090cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1090cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2007 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

I remember Jim McCombe telling us that...ya hear that Ambro?....I aint nuts!(no pun intended of course)

Wow, right as always Craig. Guess I've just been waitin for the experts to set me straight.  
That's why they call it R A C E gas.
Hagen 79 sst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagen 79 sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 9:45pm

monday I had went up to the water box and watched to see how the box was beening handle for the day....and saw for myself that the box was done in top notch fashion,,,,NO standing water puddles any where,,and no drug out water ether. the guy working the water box (cant remember his name) did a hell of a job with as cold as it was all day.

My hat is off to the water box guy  Give him a raise Georgia
Smokem If Ya Gotem
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 9:53pm

Carl,
 You're right, much better Monday.  He's Rick White, (unless I've had brain fade on the name), the guy who got hurt last year & yes he did a good job!  The Ranchero was in the 1.40s for the 60', (until the 2 step stuck), the track was good! 

Edited by rancheroracer - 16 Jan 2007 at 10:13pm
Dave Hoover View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 12:26am
Yeah, good job Rick, the box was much better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic