FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Track disgretion vs NHRA rules

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track disgretion vs NHRA rules
    Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 12:39am
Ok, let me set the record straight. I am not complaining. I am asking, because I want to know if I am the only one who gets upset when other racers break the class rules, and nothing is done about it.

2 cases to discuss:

a couple years ago, when 'Sportsman" was what we now call "pro", the class index was 10.00-something(16.99?)...point is, no car faster than 10.00 could compete in the Sportsman class(again, now PRO). Of course, now the ET cut-offs have changed, but this was 'then"

entering 3rd round, we line up with a certain car dialed 9.30
I raised the issue with a certain track official, who actually said "I dont know"...I pleaded my case to the starting line official who basically gestured 'stage now, or lose the round'....we took the tree, and flat got beat....fair and square....but we did everything we could to "not" take the race...we were used to having one of the fastest cars in the class(10.20's) and always chasing, never being chased...

I complained, and both racers were allowed to advance to the next round...the other racer was told he must dial a 10.00 or slower...which he did....and lost the next round. We advanced 2 more rounds...

My point? where does the NHRA rulebook let off, and the track's disgretion kick in? This was during a NHRA SUMMIT ET event.

the other scenario happened recently...PRO catagory according to the NHRA rule book for Summit ET races staes NO tow vehicles permitted in the staging lanes. Our opponent had a tow vehicle. It was a "door car" running in the 8 second zone..he didnt fire the car until the front of the staging lanes, while the rest of the racers had to start, drive and follow the rules...according to the NHRA rule book. The other racer lost the round.

Finally, can someone explain to me what the track's stand on burnouts past the starting line is? I know "open" cars tend to do long burnouts past the starting line...but when a racer is in the burnout box, and both drivers are given the go-ahead to light 'em up, and your opponent has a door car, and does a burnout way past the starting line, it can suck...because then you sit and wait for them to back up, and get sorted....

One round at the Div 7 ET finals, Tommy's opponent sent one of their "crew" over to me to actually tell me "we do long burnouts, so you might want to wait a bit before you do yours"

...I thought that was an awesome gesture....

Please, fellow racers and tech personell...please understand..I am not complaining....I would just like to know where the track stands on these issues....it helps racers know what the rules are going to be, before they get ready for their pass...concentration is key on the track, and the less we need to think about, the better...and SAFER.

and finally, what should a racer do if he/she has to deal with the track's decision here? Like if I am told here, what to do in any of the above cases, and the scenario should arise?

Thank you for bearing with my novel.

Best local bench racer around.
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2007 at 11:58pm
I also think tracks should follow the rule book, but I'm not a track operator.  I am looking forward to an official response.
S212 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 9:50pm

Ok Peanut!  Iíll take the hit for the tow vehicle. I donít know if youíve looked at the NHRA rule book lately but itís more than a six page pamphlet these days. IT WONíT HAPPEN AGAIN! I couldn't remember for sure and no one had a rule book handy at that time.

I canít make an official statement for Infineon Raceway concerning race procedures. But what I can tell you is as far as the track goes and their being able to change class ET parameters, allowing tow vehicles in the lanes, they can do these types of changes if they want to regardless of NHRA rules. The two people to get an official statement concerning race procedures from Infineon Raceway would be Eric Arnett or Georgia Spiel.
Racers are my family to.
S212 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 9:51pm
Steve! how far would you like me to take that statment?
Racers are my family to.
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 10:49pm
I'd like you to be reasonable interpreting the rule book, but if everyone has to play by the book they can set their "game day procedures" and know everyone else has to do the same.  For instance the new T/D rules have us spending $1,000 in new safety gear that could be spent on performance/consistancy upgrades.  I would be upset if others weren't held to the same rules.  We're spending another $1,000 for a Hans that isn't required, so safety is the place I like spending money. 

S212 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 12:29am

It's not a perfect world and reasonable interpretation is what leads us to these kinds of conversations. Those two words basically mean some one isn't going to get what they want. This is the conversations that we can carry on with until we are all old and racing our winged 72 volt wheel chairs down the main isle at Wall Mart.

So I will continue to do my best educate and not assonate and keep my racing family safe as possible. But if you feel Iím being a DEE DE DEE just bring your rule book along with any necessary supplemental rule books along with the up dates from national dragster and the NHRA web site and lets about it.

Racers are my family to.
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 11:39am
You guys do a great job!  We racers only have to research the rules for our class/classes.  I can't imagine having to know the whole rulebook.
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 10:38am
I agree...it's easy for us racers to sit back and expect the tech officials to see/hear/know every little part of eeryone's set up. Granted, we've all seen some hoopties that are out there that we just cannot believe how on earth they'd pass tech...

not to be too descriptive, but in one of our round wins in Trophy, we lined up against the black/white "ranger" looking thing...I've seen it at sac... to tell ya the truth, I was a bit nervous about him heading down the track with a 4+ second head start...that vehicle is almost as scary looking as our old Dart!

anyway...he had a 14.00 dial in, and no helmet. He ended up breaking out and lost the round, but without his helmet, he was headed home anyway. I hate it when people put me in the position to be a tattle-tail, but the rules are in place for safety reasons...and if we have to follow them, so should everyone else. had we gone red, or lost the round, what should have been done? Narc? go tattle-on that driver for not having his brain bucket on, so we can go more rounds?
what would you all do?

Paul, I definately want to thank you for your insight last Sunday with regard's to Tom's car...you pointed something out to me in the staging lanes and I took immediate action before the next round.

Thanks for always having your "eyes" on!

Edited by Peanut - 12 Jan 2007 at 10:43am
Best local bench racer around.
rancheroracer View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

anyway...he had a 14.00 dial in, and no helmet. He ended up breaking out and lost the round, but without his helmet, he was headed home anyway. I hate it when people put me in the position to be a tattle-tail, but the rules are in place for safety reasons...and if we have to follow them, so should everyone else. had we gone red, or lost the round, what should have been done? Narc? go tattle-on that driver for not having his brain bucket on, so we can go more rounds?
what would you all do?

Craig,
 I think one should report it, although our guys are on the ball & I'm sure would've caught it.  That 14.00 raises an automatic look in there flag & I'll bet he would've got the DQ by the time he got to Lisa.
 Doug

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 8:37pm
Doug,
Anytime you see someone with a 14.00 dial in on their car, 99% of the time, that car is capable of running in the 13's where a certified helmet is required.
Reporting the offender is something that none of you should  feel guilty for as this is a serious offense and a clear violation of the rules. You are right, the 14.00 dial is a red flag and our starting line crew is pretty sharp in catching the violaters. Even before they get to the time slip booth, Lisa has been informed by radio and has told them of the infraction and not to come back until they have a helmet.
Same thing would apply to someone running quicker than 11.50 without a roll bar and a certified SFI approved drivers jacket, do it and you are breaking the rules.

Edited by Jim McCombe - 12 Jan 2007 at 8:43pm
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic