FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thanks for a good race season!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks for a good race season!
    Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 10:47am
I just wanted to congratulate everyone on a good race year. i want to send a personal thanks to all who helped me get my Maverick into good running shape. Last night i ran a personal best at 12.65 105mph. I had a great time racing in the high school points standings and looking forward to next season. it was fun racing with the four other racers and i want to congratulate Daniel on the win. next season should be a good one and looks like we will have more racers in the summit series. and now that i have taken my maverick, formly owned by our good friends the Westermans, from 16's to mid twelves on street tires with out the cal tracs on i look forward to 2oo8. GOOD LUCK to all and have a relaxing six weeks before January.

THANKS

Kevin Neft

KEVIN NEFT
Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 12:10pm
Kevin,
Congratulations on what you have been able to do with the Maverick. Having the Westerman's in your corner was a huge plus and none are better than Steve who is always there to lend a helping hand.
Our High School kids are the very best and how about the year that Nikole and Jessica had? Wow, those 2 gals are going to be tough in 2008 as well as yourself, Daniel and Rocky.
Congratulations to all of you for providing myself and Dave Hoover with some interesting and fun moments in the announcers booth and we will be looking forward to the 2008 season with great anticipation.

Edited by Jim McCombe - 26 Nov 2007 at 12:11pm
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 10:48pm
Thanks Jim. Your right the Westermans, Tony, and others have helped me tremendously without them the Maverick wouldnt be where its at or even running for that matter. Alot of the racers have came a long way in high school and i look forward to the competition especially since there should be a better turn out then 4 for the points races.

Kevin

p.s. this was daniel mcllelands last year in high school
KEVIN NEFT
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 1:06am
i was disappointed in the fact that i could not finish the race this weekend.... i though i had a real good shot especially after i saw the numbers posted...o well
KEVIN NEFT
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:52am
Kev...I saw your Maverick jacked up in the staging lanes during the late rounds...what happened?

we were running trophy, and I asked Paul B which lane to line up in late in the rounds...he told us to drive around you and line up...you looked a little bewildered...

Hope all is ok...you've come a long way with that car this year...and I cant wait to see it flying next season.

BTW...was it you or your brother(?) looking at a Dodge Dart in sonoma? if so..that's my old car...if you have any questions about it(or whoever it was) dont hesitate to ask. I have all the info...we sold it back in 2002 to the current owner.

you can email me

blackicelsc at aol.com

Best local bench racer around.
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:56am
my bottom starter bolt had fallen off and my top one came loose.......i was able to get started, but off course right after high school made there next run and final.....so it was nothing major its back and running solid again i made sure to put lock tite on the bolts this time around.... it was my brother looking at the dart....ill let him know that he can go to you for info, but i think that ship has saled
KEVIN NEFT
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 4:14pm
gotcha...man...what a bummer....they always seem to start AFTER the round was missed, dont they?...we've all been there in one way or another...

sorry.

as for your brother, yea...I had heard something about, with school, the Mustang, etc etc....

just so you guys know who you can ask, should the need arise.

see ya on Jan 5th, huh?

73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 4:58pm
yeah definetly....i also hope to make it to a test and tune sac b4 then after i put the cal tracs on
KEVIN NEFT
Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 6:53pm
Kevin,
We have all gone through the same thing at one time in our lives and I know exactly how you feel.
I have always said "If I'm going to beaten, let it be by my competition and not my own race car"
More often that not, it is usually a two bit item that fails just as in your case and I am just glad that it wasn't something much worse.
We all go to the track thinking that we are well prepared only to see something like this happen.
If you did a survey on this board, you would find that just about everyone of us was stopped just because of some simple piece that failed at the wrong time.
Don't worry Kevin, learn by your mistakes as you are still very young and I foresee many wins and win lights in your future.
Good Luck in 2008 and all of the years beyond!
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 9:58pm
Kev,

You have grown so much and are turning into a good mechanic too!  We all learn from our mistakes, you have to have the opportunities to f'up to really learn what not to do in this hobby/profession.  If you know what I mean,
Talk to you soon,

Steve
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007 at 10:24pm
thanks steve.....i was also wondering when you might be around to help me with the cal tracs and line lock one of these weekends coming up??? ill also call you tomorrow to get ahold of u in person.
KEVIN NEFT
McK_Racing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McK_Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 12:12am
Hope I'm not too far off topic...

<< If you did a survey on this board, you would find that just about everyone of us was stopped just because of some simple piece that failed at the wrong time. >>

Yup. First it was a plastic oil pressure line. Big mess under the hood and on the track. Starter mad. Never got off the starting line. Steel braided from then on. I think it's an NHRA rule now.

Last race out for me, in September, I guess the stock metal hood wasn't shut well enough. The factory safety latch couldn't hold up to the strain. At about half track or so, the hood went from being closed to smashing my windshield in an instant. Bent the heck out of the flimsy roof too, and I had to straighten it and get new hinges before I could put on a new hood and windshield. I was still alive in Trophy and Sportsman, so I managed to lose two races in one round. It was an expensive day, and hopefully one I'll never repeat...

Any other good stories (in retrospect) out there?
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 12:50am
i believe i rember seeing that happen glad you got things fixed
KEVIN NEFT
SteveW View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 9:33pm
Hey Kev,

Give me a call but I'll be guiding hunts both days this weekend.  Did you get the instructions with the CalTracs?  You'll need the aluminum bushings for the springs too.

Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 10:07pm
wanna hear mine?

Peanut seemed to be a bit on the fat side, so I re-jetted at the shop for one of our hotter Summit races.

1st pass...a dog. WAY under-jetted. I told my good friend Bob Sherwood, and he sais "are you sure? It shouldnt have fallen off that bad(6/10ths)...he says...take the jets out and check them very carefully....I threw in the old jets, and the truck seemed back where it was, but still a bit fat...no time for another jet change, so we ran it like that.

I brought Bob the old jets, and he holds one up to the sunlight...then another...and then another...and smiles...he says "here...look at this one".

sure enough...the vaccuum plastic wrap they came sealed in as a pair had sucked a piece inside one of the jets...it's clear, so I didnt see it at first...but sure enough, it was there...

my point? I lost two time runs, and struggled to find a dial-in for first round, and got beat...all because of a small 1/32" piece of plastic blocking one jet...clear plastic...almost invisible.

lesson learned.

But no story is worse than Dave Adams, back in the 90's...he's running his Maverick in the 5th round...2 rounds away from a final...seems he cant be beat....until one pass, the slower car blew the hell up way out in front of him...a piece of debris flies up in the air, and comes down right on Dave's windshield, cracking it, and putting a small hole right in front of him....he obviously wins the round, but upon return to the staging lanes, ready for a Semi appearance, they wont let him run with a cracked windshield(it was bad).

talk about bad EVERYTHING....

so no matter how bad your day seems, most likely, someone out there is having a day that is far worse....

and thankfully, most of the time...it happens at your home track, instead of some 6 hour+ tow away.

it's the price we pay.

May all your runs be wins, and all the parts stay in the race car.
if the smoke escapes, it's usually broke.

Edited by Peanut - 29 Nov 2007 at 10:14pm
73'goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73'goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 11:09pm
isnt that true....... sorry i didnt get the chance to call ive been at school and working all day.....next weekend might work better for me because ill probably work less....anyways i believe we do have the instructions but i was hoping for your help because i didnt want to fudge anything up, and i know you have done it a few times.  i was wondering if you might be able to help set up the line lock....so im sure ill be able to contact you in the next few days even if its by internet

thanks for the help
kevin
KEVIN NEFT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic