FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

11th Annual Mopars North of the Gate @ Infineon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CRF450RR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRF450RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:37am
Keith Richards View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Richards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by CRF450RR CRF450RR wrote:

Keith

Thanks for putting on a great show. I great time today...

Rich

Thanks but the real thanks should go to Georgia and her tireless crew. They did a great job all weekend and my hat is off to them.

Keith
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 12:05am
Keith...I dont know how YOU did it...organizing the show, dealing with all the issues that come up, taking the time to put up a buy-back style jackpot, AND competing yourself!

Then that round you and Brenda shared today...WOW...

just wanted to say thanks...it was a great weekend, and when Brenda showed me the time slip from your guy's round today...I gotta say...if she's gonna go down by .001 on a doube break out...I wasnt so bummed when it was to you...one heck of a racer.

she did her job...on paper, she took the stripe by .0006...it all came down to the tree...your .022 beat her .023....and although she wanted to see her win light, losses like that dont hurt as bad.

great job pal...on both accounts.

I'd love to see this Mopar race every year...even if we dont race our Mopar.
Best local bench racer around.
CRF450RR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRF450RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Keith Richards Keith Richards wrote:

Originally posted by CRF450RR CRF450RR wrote:

Keith

Thanks for putting on a great show. I great time today...

Rich

Thanks but the real thanks should go to Georgia and her tireless crew. They did a great job all weekend and my hat is off to them.

Keith

Georgia and her crew always do a great job...
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 10:50pm
You probably did not do any marketing research, that area is isolated by the coastal range and a hough pain in the ass to haul over. The only semi flat access is from Frisco or Santa Cruz. They are not really into it there (surfs up dude). The place I think best would be between Coyote (old Monterey Hi-way) and  Hollister. Plenty of wide open space and agriculture with straight roads and air fields already there. Make sure you don't limit it to only drag racing,  make it a test center for electric mobiles, ie. the electric drag bike 0 to 60 in one second, (they really can wind up fast). 
Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 12:02am
Once a track closes, that is the end of it at least here in California.
My late friend of some 50 years Jim McLennan who ran both the Half Moon Bay and Cotati tracks plus Baylands (Fremont for you old timers) for a period of time had a in depth discussion with me about what you are talking about.
Jim regretted he turned over the master lease at Baylands to Terry Kniss and within 3 years of doing it, the place closed forever in November of 1988.
Many attempts were made to get it reopened as did a group in Half Moon Bay who tried to get that old track there reopened. I was there the day along with Jim McLennan at Half Moon Bay when we had permission to run a total of just 100 cars down that track to do some noise testing for San Mateo County. Before we ever fired one car, there were noise complaints to the Sheriff's Office coming from a trailer park near by where a bunch of senior citizens lived at.
As I sat with Jimmy drinking coffee, he said that this place would never open again as there was just too much opposition to it. And he was right...

Another Friend Bob Glembocki managed to get drag racing opened up for a brief time at Laguna Seca Raceway (1/8th mile) and that lasted just one season though he had connections to the Monterey County Sheriffs office who helped put them on. I was there for one of their races and the turnouts seemed very good though restrictive to just people under 21 for the purposes of getting them off of the street. Strange but true.. Sadly, the people at Laguna Seca who were in power had the final say so and pulled the plug.
As I write this, there is a big money concern trying to develope a complete racing venue in Atwater on the site of the old Castle Air Base.
This thing has been hung up in litigation for some 5 years now yet has the blessings of the board of Directors of Merced County.
Even with big money, it is not an easy task.

There are many areas that are undeveloped here within the Central part of the state yet out of reach for most investors. One of the current problems is the general state of the economy and the on going price of gasoline and Diesel. Not many are willing to gamble on a motorsports venue and just ask Andy Maracco who tried to build a track in Banning called Drag City.

I would love to see a new track opened up in the San Jose or Monterey area as I love that part of the state. Believe it or not, I use to drag race at the old Salinas Airport back in the late 50's and early 60's.
Then there was Little Bonnevile in San Jose up until 1958 before it was closed down. It was located near the corner of King and Storey Rds.
We also had Madera, Kingdon, (Lodi) Balico (Turlock) Marysville, Vina (Near Chico) Vacaville, Vernalis (Modesto area) and of course Redding which is still running today.

Nothing unusual in those days to drive 3 or more hours to go racing but then the costs of fuel was so much better then and I was a hell of a lot younger too.

Who knows what lies in the future, maybe a steering group can be formed and put together and find something there in your neck of the woods.
My Dad always told me, "don't wait for someone else to fulfill your dreams, take actions to do it yourself" Just need to find a bunch of people who think in the same terms, there is power in numbers.

Edited by Jim McCombe - 10 Jun 2008 at 12:09am
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 9:09am
Hmmm...lets see..

"Mopars North of The gate"

brought to you by "Wine Country Mopars" car club...

Oh, I get it now...NOW I know why the event is held in the NORTH BAY in the WINE COUNTRY.

wasnt so sure there for a minute.

CRF450RR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRF450RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Jim McCombe Jim McCombe wrote:

Once a track closes, that is the end of it at least here in California.
My late friend of some 50 years Jim McLennan who ran both the Half Moon Bay and Cotati tracks plus Baylands (Fremont for you old timers) for a period of time had a in depth discussion with me about what you are talking about.
Jim regretted he turned over the master lease at Baylands to Terry Kniss and within 3 years of doing it, the place closed forever in November of 1988.
Many attempts were made to get it reopened as did a group in Half Moon Bay who tried to get that old track there reopened. I was there the day along with Jim McLennan at Half Moon Bay when we had permission to run a total of just 100 cars down that track to do some noise testing for San Mateo County. Before we ever fired one car, there were noise complaints to the Sheriff's Office coming from a trailer park near by where a bunch of senior citizens lived at.
As I sat with Jimmy drinking coffee, he said that this place would never open again as there was just too much opposition to it. And he was right...

Another Friend Bob Glembocki managed to get drag racing opened up for a brief time at Laguna Seca Raceway (1/8th mile) and that lasted just one season though he had connections to the Monterey County Sheriffs office who helped put them on. I was there for one of their races and the turnouts seemed very good though restrictive to just people under 21 for the purposes of getting them off of the street. Strange but true.. Sadly, the people at Laguna Seca who were in power had the final say so and pulled the plug.
As I write this, there is a big money concern trying to develope a complete racing venue in Atwater on the site of the old Castle Air Base.
This thing has been hung up in litigation for some 5 years now yet has the blessings of the board of Directors of Merced County.
Even with big money, it is not an easy task.

There are many areas that are undeveloped here within the Central part of the state yet out of reach for most investors. One of the current problems is the general state of the economy and the on going price of gasoline and Diesel. Not many are willing to gamble on a motorsports venue and just ask Andy Maracco who tried to build a track in Banning called Drag City.

I would love to see a new track opened up in the San Jose or Monterey area as I love that part of the state. Believe it or not, I use to drag race at the old Salinas Airport back in the late 50's and early 60's.
Then there was Little Bonnevile in San Jose up until 1958 before it was closed down. It was located near the corner of King and Storey Rds.
We also had Madera, Kingdon, (Lodi) Balico (Turlock) Marysville, Vina (Near Chico) Vacaville, Vernalis (Modesto area) and of course Redding which is still running today.

Nothing unusual in those days to drive 3 or more hours to go racing but then the costs of fuel was so much better then and I was a hell of a lot younger too.

Who knows what lies in the future, maybe a steering group can be formed and put together and find something there in your neck of the woods.
My Dad always told me, "don't wait for someone else to fulfill your dreams, take actions to do it yourself" Just need to find a bunch of people who think in the same terms, there is power in numbers.

I was really pissed when they closed down Champion drag strip in S.F. It was only a 5 minute drive...
Jim McCombe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim McCombe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 1:53pm

Richard,
Jim and I also talked about Champion Speedway.
Never had the chance to go there but my late friend John Giusti told me it was always cold and windy there and not much shut off area though the track was less than a 1/4 mile in total length.
John had a injected big block 427 56 Corvette than ran some 10.30's that his wife Diana drove(Giusti & Giusti)and damn near wrecked it at Champion. From that period on, he took his 65 Factory Fuel Injected 65 there and had a hard time stopping it but not as bad as "The Thing" as he called the 56.
Sorry if I have gotten way off topic, I need to create a new discussion for this maybe under the heading of "Tracks Gone By" ???

Edited by Jim McCombe - 10 Jun 2008 at 1:57pm
If it feels like it's going side ways... IT IS!
RacerX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 8:52pm
"Nothing unusual in those days to drive 3 or more hours to go racing but then the costs of fuel was so much better then and I was a hell of a lot younger too.

"Who knows what lies in the future, maybe a steering group can be formed and put together and find something there in your neck of the woods.
"My Dad always told me, "don't wait for someone else to fulfill your dreams, take actions to do it yourself" Just need to find a bunch of people who think in the same terms, there is power in numbers." Jim.

Thats exactly why I brought the idea here, and Jim is an encyclopedia of drag history. I have been proposing the plan to speed, 4 wheel, and automotive business, their concern is with the "environmentalists" blocking the proposal. I say it's their business that suffers due to a lack of "play pen" in which to test the parts or tuning work. My concern is to have a track, less than an hour away, on flat ground from San Jose.  San Benito Co. has an off road park up in the hills, and they host the biker (Hollister) run to the Tres Pinos Co. fair grounds. The S.B.Co. may be workable towards idea of a multi-use track. Who knows all of the car clubs south of the Bay Area? Other car clubs. (So Mr. Peanut, I am not really high jacking the thread.)                        

The retired city manager and policeman of Los Banos, Merced Co. worked against the proposal, and cited that drag racing is a bad influence on the young drivers in his area. Which I found to be prejudiced and condescending. His former co- workers are still the establishment and along with other poor service failed to bring the High School up to state accreditation.  I found that intolerable and moved.                                                                                                           
The San Jose area is ripe for the pick-n, millions of people, no tracks for hours, and they race anyway on the streets. The 1/4 is marked and used over in Coyote, southbound Monterey Hi. after the biker bar. Which is not for me but, it still goes on. Jim please start the  history thread and calm that peanut down, before he drops his or her monocle. Anyway........ Don't say I never gave anything away, there goes the capital to other investors who will eventually act on my idea.
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 10:07pm
I'm just glad Sears Point...aka...Infineon is such a state of the art facility. They didnt HAVE TO update the drag strip...they could have done away with it all together. But they kept it, moved it, improved it, and we are SO very fortunate to have the place, and the people that run it.

it is unfortunate for those who have to travel hours and hours to get there...but compared to other places in the country, we've got the location, conditions, facility, and staff to keep any racer who ventures our way, happy once they get there.

Many racers complain about the track's condition...they'd rather race in the 100+ degree heat, with privateers running the show by "house rules" just to get a better 60 foot time, than venture out to a track that is essentially a resort, for racers.

Racer X...I do understand what you're saying...but like Jim McCombe has been preaching for years...you better have a lot of people, and a lot of money if you wish to "buy" the votes to get approval...and then BUILD a track. Then, once established...pray for 6+ years that people show up.

CRF450RR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRF450RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 10:59pm
Anyone going to the track tomorrow? I'd like meet the people that I'm replying to.
I'll be driving a black 07 Charger R/T...

Edited by CRF450RR - 10 Jun 2008 at 11:15pm
Keith Richards View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Richards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 11:44pm
I'll be there shaking the cobwebs out of our 68' road runner.

victo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 11:50pm
ill be there going slow in jackpot in the firechicken    lol 
victot700@aol.com
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 9:07am
we're sitting this one out...Tom's motor is coming apart to fix the smoke screen deployment, and we have a HUGE car show ourselves this weekend...Keith, believe me when I say I KNOW what you went through last weekend...we'll be doing the same thing this weekend, except we wont be racing...

have fun gang... Victo...keep an eye out for Ming...he's looking to ride shot gun in "A srow Amelican Caw"

Edited by Peanut - 11 Jun 2008 at 9:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic