FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Tuning" for Pinks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rancheroracer View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Tuning" for Pinks
    Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 8:42pm

How many of you are tuning for a certain et?  I'm shooting for somewhere in the 10s with my Capri but haven't decided yet.  Ran it at 10.75s Wed nite but thinking of going a little quicker,  (I have the throttle stop unhooked).  Be nice to have several of us in the same ballpark.  Whatcha think?

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Bill Taggart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Taggart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 1:33am
im going for 10.00-10.10 car not cert.for 9s
Tagteam Racing
Keith Richards View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Richards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 11:06am
I would just run it all out as the name suggests, If people start playing too many games they will get tossed I saw it happen when we did this in Vegas. Racers have to remember this is a TV game show basically where 16 lucky ones get to race for dough, 8 0f the 450 will take something home. Pretty much think of it as going to a car show where you get to see some real nice cars go down the track instead of sitting on a lawn all day waiting for a trophy at the end of the day.
 Rich Nedbal will be driving my 68' rr he went 10.727,10.737 and a 10.741 on wed. night so depending on weather he will be 10.60 -10.70, My Challenger will have the 9.20 range covered.
Have fun and see you there,
Keith
McK_Racing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McK_Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 11:17am
I usually shift early to run 12.0's in the Sportsman ET class. For Pinks, I'll be leaving as hard as I can at a higher rpm than usual, and shifting at max rpm. When I tried shifting higher once while running Trophy, it ran in the 11.60's. So, I'm thinking running it "all out" for Pinks, it will be in the 11.50's. No sand bagging here...

Hopefully there will be 15 other cars running about the same. I think the 11 second cars are due for an episode.  Smile
Bad Vega View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Vega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 2:14pm
...just remember...they ran a 12.50 class in Tuscon!
rancheroracer View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 6:13pm

Keith, good points about the playing games, I don't intend to do that.  Just like Scott mentioned, launch rpm & shift points.  My last three runs Wed nite were 10.753, 10.754, 10.753.  I'm going to raise the launch & the shift points some to see what happens Wed nite, then I'll make a choice on what to use Fri-Sat.  I don't really expect to be fortunate enough to hit the 16 but it will be fun, at least we'll have someone we know to cheer for I'm sure. 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 11:16am
the best "tuning" you can do is try to set the car up for what it can run CONSISTENTLY. I'd hate to see folks "aim" for a ET that isnt really "all out" meaning "as fast as the car CAN run" and then miss something on one of your passes that takes you out of a consistent range-
i.e.

10.75 one pass, and 10.59 another....that gap alone might be enough to take you out of one ET field, and in to another.

Imagine how bummed you'ld be if you "aimed" for a particular ET, and they chose an ET to race 16 cars out of, that you *would have* been in, had you left it alone.

we've got:

9.20-9.30
10.50-10.60
11.55-11.65

...in our pit.

remember...this is a TV show....we're all just props in the show...sort of like "lets make a deal"...if they like your costume(ET/car/who you are) they might call you're name to 'come on down and play for 10 large'

I see it as 2 time runs for $35...with a whole lot of other entertainment going on...it's a social thing for me...if for some lucky reason they like the ET, cars, people, show that 15 others put on because of what I am running, I'll feel lucky.

there's two other things to consider:

1)the staff of this show may be reading every word we type-they do their homework/research folks.

2)you never know...sometimes I wonder if they have MORE than 16 cars in the same range, but chose the 16 they "like"...you always hear them say "outstanding diverse group of racers and cars"...that shouldnt matter...if they had 16 cars all within 1/10th, who cares, right?

wrong...it's a TV show....remember the old saying   "that's showbiz"

just enjoy the show...and be happy for who they pick...dont go expecting a chance...go expecting to have fun and know that some lucky people will win with a nice hefty prize..

Edited by Peanut - 31 Aug 2008 at 11:17am
Best local bench racer around.
McK_Racing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McK_Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 1:51pm
Don't mean to hijack this thread... Hey Peanut, since it's a "TV show", and they're looking for flash, would you like to borrow some magnetic flames for your pickup? Sure, they're cheesy, but I used to run them on a white truck at the Finals, so they'd be right at home on your S-10. I figure anything I can do to make the mid 11-second range cars more appealing to the TV guys helps me too.

Don't worry, I won't be insulted if you don't want them either.  Smile Just offering. Here's a photo: http://www.mckennaracing.com/flames.jpg

Edited by McK_Racing - 31 Aug 2008 at 5:09pm
Bill Taggart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Taggart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 9:43pm
dont get me wrong im not tuning for a certin # i cant run in the 9s for safety reasons. does eny one know how much fuel is$$ for 110 at the track
Tagteam Racing
SLCaldwell View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLCaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2008 at 11:16pm
I think fuel is 7.99 a gallon now!!!!

See ya Wed night.  Steve and Lisa
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 9:41am
Scott...we stuck a set on the truck a while back that a friend had, and we actually prefer to "plain" look...hopefully the fuscia-pink pearl clear coat will "pop" in the sunlight enough to catch their attention...after all...it is "pink".

Thanks for the offer though...

I know when the show first started, they LOVED trucks...now it seems the S-10's are getting very common again...I think a S-10 won the New Orleans race.

I just hope whoever they chose, has a fantastic time with no carnage. I hate to see mechanical issues take a racer out of the show. There are some things you can prepare for, but there are always mechanical things you cant help...(knocking on wood)

Edited by Peanut - 02 Sep 2008 at 9:44am
Best local bench racer around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic