FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rancheroracer View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine question
    Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 8:17pm

I have the engine out of the Ranchero finally, (Capri has new engine in & ready to go), & tore it apart.  I knew it had a broken crank but it's been on the back burner 'til the Capri was done & out of the garage.  Engine is totaled, crank broke between #1 & #2 mains & broke the #1 main cap/web.  That's what I get for running a cast crank this long.  Anyway since everything is scrap I'm looking at just getting a complete engine.  Any of these names sound familiar?  Powerhead Racing engines,Wildomar,Ca;  Wheelerpowerproducts,Jacksonville,Florida; TuffDawg engines(D&G Machine & Performance Engines)Phoenix,Az. 

I plan on seeing you folks in two weeks.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
PsychoSy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PsychoSy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 10:45pm
I'd at least call Paul at Paul's Empire Head. Mention my name if you'd like. Or not... :-) And just see what he has to say. Talk is cheap. He built my short block and I'm very happy with it.

Then there's Aaron at BadAss engines in Sonoma but I don't know his status right now.

If you'd like I can poke around a bit. Send me some specs.

See ya.

Remember' 500 miles is a drive, 1/4 mile is a race!

Don W.
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 2:37pm
Doug, what are you looking for?
Pump-gas big inch motor with mountains of torque and low rpm/long life?
stroker motor that revs high, and makes massive amounts of HP for big money?
FE motor-home lead-anchor motor to run high 14's?
crate from a magazine/dealer/racer?
iron block, aluminum head small-big motor(428 family) to run to 7000 rpms consistently?
all aluminum small block on N2O that makes 550 dry or 900 on the geez?

Ford?
wanna cross over and go pump-gas triple nickle bow tie product?

help us help you

Best local bench racer around.
PsychoSy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PsychoSy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 7:02pm
PM sent
Remember' 500 miles is a drive, 1/4 mile is a race!

Don W.
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 7:03pm
Peanut, thanks.  I'm not looking for high rpm screamer.  Just something that will fit hopefully w/o having to change everything & be reliable & consistent.  Doesn't have to have mega hp.  No nitrous, I'd switch over but depends on how difficult/costly to use my existing C4, (switching to big block or Chevy could mean drivetrain changes, tranny,driveshaft,etc.).
I appreciate it, thanks.
Doug

Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

Doug, what are you looking for?
Pump-gas big inch motor with mountains of torque and low rpm/long life?
stroker motor that revs high, and makes massive amounts of HP for big money?
FE motor-home lead-anchor motor to run high 14's?
crate from a magazine/dealer/racer?
iron block, aluminum head small-big motor(428 family) to run to 7000 rpms consistently?
all aluminum small block on N2O that makes 550 dry or 900 on the geez?

Ford?
wanna cross over and go pump-gas triple nickle bow tie product?

help us help you

Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 9:32pm
what's in there now...errr...what WAS in there?
 Windsor stroker?
Cleveland?

how many inches?

there's still a lot of Ford guys around...most went 460, but you can find some Windsor builders. it doesn't have to be a "Ford" guy...just someone who knows what you want.

You ever get ahold of Marc Power about that 460 he had? it was a pump-gas big-incher motor I believe...but would make a great baseline for something that could do what many 10 second Ford racers do(Like Adams)...big inches, low rpms, monster torque, longevity, decent ET's.

Look at Mike Elings trip-nick pump-gasser. 555 inches of low-rpm grunt. like he says "if you run out of race gas, there's always the lawn mower"

If you're used to having a Ford in a Ford(your FoMoCo peers commend you) then yea, don't switch...motor, trans, driveshaft, mounts, plates, plumbing, exhaust, etc...too much hassle. But when you're done you can buy pushrods at 7-11.

Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rancheroracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 2:42am

Was a 391 Cleveland, (on it's way to the scrap yard tomorrow).

Keith Richards View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Richards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:34am
How about talking to Marc at MP Motorsports?  He can build some power.

3075 Coffey Lane
Santa Rosa, CA 95403-2510
(707) 568-0676
Peanut View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 9:46am
who in their right mind would EVER drag race with a Cleveland???

Oh yea...that's right...I did....for 10+ years! lol

Bob Sherwood had 2 351C's we ran...one was an iron headed flat top motor ran 10.80's...the other had some goodies and ran 10.teens...

I am sure Marc Power at MP Motorsports could build you a serious engine to your budget, taste, size, power and liking...give him a call...he don't bite, loves to work with racers, and always stays within budget.

when you show up at the track and need two hands to count the amount of cars out there with MP Motorsports stickers on them...that's a pretty good sign.

chevypwrdmust View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevypwrdmust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 12:28pm
Cleveland, Scrap yard!Dead Sounds good to me. How about a Windsor 351 or stroked. I hear they can get them up near 427 cu inches. Or if it would work. I vote for a Chevy, what else?LOL
See you tonight.
Mark
Mark " The Insurance Man"
Nothing beats a Chevy for power and reliability!
MBA Racing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBA Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 1:02pm
We get our engines from Watson Racing and Engineering in Concord, Ca 925-609-6409 ask for Mike Blackstone.  All three of our cars are running motors he built.  He builds alot of super stock, stock eliminator, pro gas, top sportsman, street rods.... he can build you whatever you want.  He is beyond fabulous to work with!!!!    http://www.watsonracingengineering.com/ 
Mean Barbara Jean

Edited by MBA Racing - 17 Mar 2010 at 1:03pm
"Living and loving life a 1/4 mile at a time"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic